Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How Do You Choose Those Beloved Items?




Those of you who have followed me for a while know that I have 
two 
little antique shops here in
 Denver Colorado
which
I manage to do because I have a partner at
 PATINA ANTIQUES & HOME
Deb Platt
and
two partners at
Dwell Antiques & Home
Melanie Everhart and Kellie Sloan Brown.

Not to mention several excellent friends who manage to keep me rolling in a million ways!
(You know who you are)


We partners have individual styles and preferences and life experiences and dreams and goals
but
all in all we have a common desire to enjoy retailing our favorite things in the two shops.

I believe the visitors to our two shops are able to discover a variety of treasures,
old and new
that spark their interest
and get them 
excited


We love to share with you when it comes to the
 stories and provenance
 we've learned about an object.

We are forthright in revealing the age of a treasure
the general location where it was found
whether it was 
handcrafted 
or 
mass produced
and
all that we can surmise about the object
from our years of life experience and study.





As shoppers, most of us purchase items based on a quick emotional tug.

We see something that appeals to some inner desire or memory.

"I want to be an organized person and this will help me."
"Oh ... my granny had one of those and it reminds me of those sweet times at her house!"
"That color makes me feel happy - and I want that 'pick me up'."

The items I personally buy for resale in my shops are 
often chosen
because of my own reflex emotional response to them.

There are those that tug at my heart and make me want to know their story,

there are those whose patina cries out to be touched, like a mellow old wooden bowl.

There are those whose color is particularly enchanting, with layers of age-old paint colors revealed.

There are those that someone has listed on our "wish lists".





Once in a while I'm the only one who sees beauty in a find.
That sweet little treasure might sit there for way too long, 

and I find myself doubting my ability.

Then, along comes the soulmate who reaches out and strokes that lil treasure
 and sighs
 and knows exactly what I saw in it.
Yes!



When you stop in, whether it's in our brick and mortar shops or our Etsy shop,
we hope you'll connect with us.


That's what makes it all worthwhile!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...